Friday, February 13, 2009

valentine schmalentine

My annual rant still rings true today...

I hate Valentine's Day. I hate the aisles and aisles of pink and red fluff in every store I enter. I hate the excessive commercials full of happy, kissy-faced couples all enraptured with each other over stupid things like new cars or chewing gum or Caribbean cruises. I hate all the ads for diamonds and tacky heart-shaped jewelry. I hate the love song infestation on all the airwaves and in all the stores and restaurants. I hate how the price of roses is jacked up when the same dozen costs a third as much on any other day of the year. I hate the aisles and aisles of cards crooning about how wonderful the love of my life is. I hate that I don't have a love of my life. I hate that I have no one to buy such a card for. I hate that no one I like has ever given me such a card. I hate that the only Valentine cards I've ever received came from my reluctant elementary school classmates and were covered with happy buddy-buddy images of Garfield and Odie or Snoopy and Woodstock. I hate that I don't have a time turner like Hermione in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban so I can fast forward to February 15th. I hate those heart-shaped sweetie candy things. "Be mine." "You're cute." "Kiss me." Bah-humbug!!! I want to cram a whole bag full of those candies down some little cupid's throat until he chokes and turns blue and then I can steal his bow and arrows and break them and toss the splinters into a fireplace somewhere along with all those stupid school-kid Valentines and then dance a little jig while they burn to ashes.

Most of all, I hate that I don't have any reason not to hate Valentine's Day....

1 comment:

joy said...

well, when you cram all those candies down cupid' throat and smash his arrows, be sure to video it and post it somewhere--that would definitely be worth watching. seriously, i'm sorry that it's a rough day. it is a commercialized thing, but i just try to focus on other loves. don't know if that helps.