Monday, April 6, 2009

opening day

I wish I were in Phoenix today...

For the past three years, I have not been at work today. I've been in Denver, celebrating the beginning of another baseball season by watching my Arizona Diamondbacks take on the Colorado Rockies. The D'Backs have started the year on the road for the past three years, and I've been there every time.

But today, they get to start the season at home. In Phoenix. Far away Phoenix.

I'm bummed.

But I'm excited, too, as I watch the minutes tick past on the clock, every moment bringing me closer to the excitement... the military band parade around the warning track... the giant American flag unfurled across the entire outfield of the diamond... the tens of thousands of patriots and fans on their feet with hands over hearts... the glaring red rockets and fireworks bringing the national anthem to life... the Air Force jets buzzing the stadium as the multitude roars... the team in white exploding onto the field from the third-base dugout... the pitcher slowly striding to the center-stage mound, slowly wrapping his fingers around the bright red stitching on the brand-new ball... and then, at long last, two of the most magic words you could ever hear ring out over the loudspeaker...

"PLAY BALL!!!"

I'm stoked that Opening Day is here at last! I just wish I could be there to see it in person...

1 comment:

joy said...

I had no idea you were such a baseball fan. HOw fun! Sometimes I wish I were into a sport. Hope it's a good season.