Thursday, December 15, 2005

before my adam awakes

God knew it wasn't good for man to be alone. So Adam went through all the creatures on earth to find his perfect mate. No doubt Adam was struggling with loneliness -- the first imperfection of Eden. He tried all kinds of things, and even noticed a few beautiful or enticing creatures on his search... "the horse is so enchanting"... "the eagle is so magnificent".... But nothing was good enough. Being an impetuous and somewhat stubborn man, though, Adam kept trying on his own for a long time, until he finally gave up in frustration and asked God for some direction. And God's directions weren't difficult. "Close your eyes. I've got a surprise for you," He said. And so Adam fell asleep.

Then came Eve.

God had the giggles as He crafted this work of art. "Wait till Adam gets a load of this!" He thought. He took His time, no question. He had to get her just right. No mere speaking her into existence... she could only be hand-crafted with all the love in the universe, because she would have no other purpose in life but to be with Adam. She came from him, was fashioned from a piece that God took from him so that no one else could make him complete again. And when He was finished with her, Eve opened her eyes....

Eve's first moments with her Father were gentle and exciting. And then He revealed to her His plan. "I've made you for one special purpose," God said. "You're going to be with Adam." It didn't matter to her that she had no clue who this Adam guy was... she knew nothing but her Lord and Maker, so she just trusted Him that this was a good plan, and agreed to go along with it. God took her by the hand, and with a smile and a wink said, "Are you ready for this?"

As they walked, many imitators crossed Eve's path. A rhino, a giraffe, a hippo, a gorilla, a frog.... She wondered aloud about each one, "Is that the Adam You told me about?" But God just smiled and said, "Wait, you'll see."

And then she saw.

Adam was unlike anyone or anything she could have ever imagined. He was like her! He took her breath away, even while still asleep. And for the briefest of moments, her pulse raced and her palms grew sweaty. What would he say when he awoke? She looked to her Maker for confirmation, and He just smiled and nodded, and nudged Adam on the shoulder.

Now Adam was not a morning person. No one would claim he was the sharpest tool in the shed when first aroused from a deep slumber. He was groggy, and his back was a little sore because God had not made pillowtop mattresses yet (those came just before the seventh day of rest). He rubbed the sleep from his eyes, glanced up.. and saw the rhino. "God, this isn't funny," he yawned. "You know I haven't had my coffee yet." He couldn't understand the proud-papa smirk on God's face, and it took him a minute to register the glances and eyebrow twitches He was making over his shoulder. Then it sank in that the surprise was behind him, so Adam turned around...

And the words had not yet been formed to describe all that Adam felt when he saw her. In her eyes, Eden was perfect once again.

Eve knew Adam before Adam knew Eve... that has to be my consolation while I linger in this limbo. I'm surrounded by elephants and kangaroos and alligators, but I only have eyes for my Adam. I know God is leading me slowly toward him, and sometimes I imagine that those are his toes I'm glimpsing curled up in the warm grass just ahead... but I know that my Adam is not awake yet. He still sleeps, somewhere, and yet my pulse begins to race and my palms are getting clammy. How long before God nudges him, before he opens his eyes and turns around? Will he be as speechless as I will be?

No comments: