Wednesday, January 10, 2007

down time

I have had the most luxurious down time the past few weeks... an idyllic lack of busy-ness that will soon be over.

I spent Christmas week in Arizona with my family, watching LOTR with my dad, shopping with my mom, riding bikes with my nieces and nephew, having long conversations over really good food with my best friends, and never once setting a morning alarm.

I had a quarrelsome roommate move out of my house, taking all of the tension and turmoil out with her. And for a few brief weeks I've had the house to myself. Oh, the quiet and solitude -- just what I needed! Long days at the office dissolve into relaxation as I curl up in my favorite armchair and watch classic movies while I crochet a new afghan or scour the pages of a riveting new novel or biography. My house is once again a home... and I have been blessed with three new roommates who couldn't agree with me more about the importance of this principle. Our home is our sanctuary, a haven of peace and rest with an open door of hospitality and welcome.

And while my days at the office have been long, the pace of New Year's work has been leisurely, as everyone is slowly trickling in from their vacations.

While some may think all this relaxation and solitude is boring, I've learned to appreciate down time in all its shapes and forms, to let it thoroughly recharge my batteries before the pandemonium is unleashed... which won't be long now!

Happy New Year to one and all... and Happy Down Time, too!

No comments: