Thursday, June 4, 2009

dear diary

My thoughts are provoked from some of the strangest places... most recently from an hilarious old move I just saw, The More the Merrier (1943) starring Jean Arthur and Charles Colbrun. Here's the scene that really got me thinking:



Mr. Dingle: Do you keep a diary, Miss Milligan?


Miss Milligan: (As she's writing her latest entry) No, of course I don't! (Pause.) Out of curiosity, why do you ask?


Mr. Dingle: There are two kinds of people -- those who don't do what they want to do, so they write down in a diary about what they haven't done; and those who are too busy to write about it because they're out doing it.



I found myself staring at my own diary on the nightstand that night, wondering which person I was... and which I wanted to be...

2 comments:

Kim Z.W. said...

Interesting... As a fellow journaler, I'll have to think about that one...

Ironic timing too, cuz I just finished reading through the Diary of Anne Frank. It's erie reading about all of the great things she wanted to do with her life - namely become a great and influential female writer. She got her wish in a much bigger way that she ever imagined, but unfortunately it didn't happen in the way she wanted it to. =^/ Perfect example of how God works, eh?

M. Sheldon said...

I'm reading your blog instead of writing in my journal right now. I have a lot on my heart that I should be writing about, but I don't like to do so. In fact, in the last year or so, I've come to realize how little I like to write in my journal. I would much rather talk through things then write about them. Does that make me person number two or does it create a third category?