Wednesday, January 27, 2010

psalm 56

Every day I receive a devotional email from my beloved congregation back in Scotland. These "Lifelines" are always poignant and comforting, and it never ceases to amaze me how just the right one always arrives exactly when I need it. Today, it was Psalm 56:

Be merciful to me, O God, for men hotly pursue me;
all day long they press their attack.
My slanderers pursue me all day long;
many are attacking me in their pride.
When I am afraid,
I will trust in You.
In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I will not be afraid.
What can mortal man do to me?
All day long they twist my words;
they are always plotting to harm me.
They conspire, they lurk,
they watch my steps,
eager to take my life.
On no account let them escape;
in your anger, O God, bring down the nations.
Record my lament;
list my tears on your scroll -
are they not in your record?
Then my enemies will turn back
when I call for help.
By this I will know that God is for me.
In God, whose word I praise,
in the LORD, whose word I praise -
in God I trust; I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?
I am under vows to you, O God;
I will present my thank offerings to you.
For you have delivered me from death
and my feet from stumbling,
that I may walk before God
in the light of life.
(ESV)


"This Psalm refers to an event in David's life when he was drifting away from the Lord and pretending to be mad in order to escape from the Philistines (1 Samuel 21:10-15). The Lord sometimes lets us get into difficulties in order to bring us back to Himself. It certainly worked with David as this Psalm proves.

"The great sin in the human heart is pride and when people attack us or get angry with us it is often because their personal pride demands them to do so. Opposition of any kind can fill us with fear and foreboding. However, we are told here how to get rid of our fears. We are to trust in the Lord. Whatever people may do to us - and godly people down the ages have suffered vicious persecution and martyrdom - we need not be afraid of them as long as we put our whole trust in the loving God.

"In vv 7-8 David is not necessarily being vengeful but is calling on the Lord to bring evil people to judgment. God's Word tells us not to keep a record of evil. Yet we can be sure that the Lord keeps a record of every tear we shed. That is the measure of His love for us. If we trust Him, we will be given proof of His love for us because He answers our prayers.

"David reminds himself of the commitment he made to the Lord and that he was under a solemn covenant to live for the Lord. We are not very good at keeping the promises we make to the Lord. When we realize that He has delivered from whatever trouble we are facing, we need reminding that He has done this so that we 'may walk before God in the light of life.' When our daily lives are flooded with the light of life in God it goes a long way to banish our fears."

No comments: