Friday, January 20, 2006

the power of words

Funny how I can have a busy and hectic but otherwise good day, and one little careless word from someone can completely ruin my mood. Also strange how one carefree little nickname can make me laugh out loud and feel good again...

I wonder if I'm ever that careless with my words... if I can really wield that kind of power over someone the way they apparently can over me. Has someone ever sulked and brooded for an entire evening because of something I said? Have I ever been the unwitting means of making someone's day with a simple word or phrase?

I've heard some horrible words in my days -- some that were meant to be mean, others that were meant to be kind but actually killed me (it's amazing how you can wait a lifetime to hear three little words, and how revolting they can sound when they come from the wrong person). But I think the words that hurt the most are the ones that are never said...

No comments: